Tales From The Ridge

Monday, September 12, 2005

Office politics

"Yes, sir?"
"I'd like to talk to you about the two new members in your team. I've had some complaints from other members of staff that their behaviour is disruptive."
"Funny...I was sure Brian and Clive would get on fine."
"Brian Hitler and Clive Gandhi do not get on, by all accounts. There seems to be some kind of...of fundamental clash of personalities."
"Really? What's the problem?"
"I'm told that Brian has been trying to annex part of Clive's desk."
"Yes. He says he needs more space in which to work, sir, and that it used to be his anyway."
"Yes, well, that's bad enough in itself, but it gets worse - apparently, instead of complaining to Human Resources like most other people would, Clive has decided to lay down on the area of desk in question in some kind of non-violent protest."
"He is laying on his front, sir - he can still use his computer."
"That's hardly the point. Something will have to be done."
"I simply don't understand. They both came highly recommended."
"Don't worry, I'm not suggesting that you get rid of them. Just...move them so that they're not together."
"Ah. Well, in that case, I think I may have a solution: Brian can go and sit at the spare desk between Vicky Churchill and Derek Stalin, and Clive can share a desk with Bob The Hun. There - I think that's the last time we'll see a personality clash in this office."