Tales From The Ridge

Monday, May 23, 2005

Disembodied Voices

Last week's writing challenge was 300 words on "Disembodied Voices".

It was cold outside, bones cold, and the darkness drip-dripped down slow like honey. I lay still like a snake, not moving but one bit, and I don’t mind to tell I was mighty ‘fraid. Not a body wun’t be after god Maru sent the Pakeha to come and kill all us brethren. So I laid there all not moving for an hour or some, ‘til I heard the voice.

“Anyone there?”

Now I din’t say nothing, cos I din’t know if it was brethren, or tricksome god Maui trying to make me into a fool, or some Pakeha buggah still hiding round trying to get me to show myself so he could stick me like he sticked everyone else in Te Awamutu. I din’t see nothing neither cos the dark was too sticky-black.

“Hello? Anyone there?”

I just laid perfect still, not hardly breathing, cos I din’t want a death clap from one of them thundersticks that god Tawhiri gave the Pakeha for who knows why. But the worrysome voice came up again.

“It’s me, Rewi. Is any other buggah there?”

It was Rewi, my brethren! I forgot the shitty ruckus that’d gone between him and me all them years ago quick-smart, and warmness and glad filled up my belly.

“Rewi! It’s me, Paranihi!”

He could hear me smilesome as I said it, but we din’t move or try to find each other, though. I was happy, and I thinks Rewi was too, just to hear a familiar voice.


We talked like when we was nippers, and in the dark we was nowhere. There may’ve been woesome streams of blood feeding the Waipa river as we lay there, but that was for morning. We two voices was back on that night twenty years ago when we was first friends.

Next week the target is 250 words with the title "Punk".