Tales From The Ridge

Friday, March 11, 2005

The Piper-Man and Me

My entry for Fifty Words:

Well, since'n you ask, my love, I was borned a long time ago, when time slip-slided by slower and the earth was still warm like a treedog's belly. Well I weren't born as you'm was, no, more played to life I was, by the great tall piper-man who run 'long the sky in the gap between night and day. You keep him in mind, love, and don't lose mind it was him, yea, who make these rocks we'm set on, and it was him't starty the long, long fatfish river twisting down to the sea.

First thing of all things I ever remember was the music, from the piper-man's pipes, yea, so sweet and warm, and the second thing of all things I remember was seeing him with my new eyes running along the sky, and he looky-look down on me and he wink, but all the time he keep playing them pipes, pulling up hills from the ground, and sowing gum trees and digging glass-shiny lakes.

But before I got here, love, there weren't no other body around, no, and even when I get here this place was hollow-empty, just me and the crocodiles. I still seed the piper-man run flighty past ev'ry evening making more and more things 'cause the world was still newborn, but never once did he make me no companions, no, and so I get frighty cold in my bones for my lonely. But eventually ol' piper-man - good, great piper-man! - seed my weepy and blow his pipes 'til an apple fall off the tree, and by the time it land bump on the ground it was come't a woman, yea, and then I smile from my head to my belly.


You came soon after, love, stretchy your mama's belly out like a watermelon, and when you came jumbling into the world all squealy and grabby the piper-man never come after, not never again, for he seed that the world is done.

So that's the tell of how I came to be and how I meet your ol' mama and how you'm was borned, love, so don't you bellyache about your mama and papa, 'cause some of us never had none, no.