Tales From The Ridge

Wednesday, February 23, 2005

Obit

"Go on, clear your stuff out," a gruff voice demanded, "We need this space for advertising."
"But I live here," said the truth shark.
"Not any more you don't. We're installing an advert for cheaper car insurance on this site."
The door rattled in its frame as the man left.

The back door opened into a dimly lit corridor. The truth shark had never been out this way before, so it was with some trepidation that he picked his way downwards. Stale air blew hot upon his face, the dry exhalations of the earth itself. Eventually he came to another door, an enormous iron portal flecked with blooms of rust, and, with nowhere else to go, he leaned heavily upon its gargantuan handle. It eased open with surprisingly little effort to reveal a vast cavern filled with thousands upon thousands of wretched forms just like him, bundled in ragged groups and huddled around meagre fires. They chattered like insects as they noticed him in the doorway. He took a step forward, and the chime of the heavy metal door closing behind him sang out disconcertingly across the cavern. Several of the tattered forms staggered menacingly towards him, gibbering about politics and literature and religion, but suddenly he felt a reassuring arm on his.

"Don't mind them," she said. She was dressed gaudily in bright colours, a startling contrast to the dim of this subterranean chamber, "I'm Kerry. You're new here, right?"

"Yeah, I just got here...who are all these..."
"They're not all cranky like that. Most of them are just like you and me. Let me guess - you're a scientist, right? Am I right? I never could get science. I used to tell people about what my owner was doing every day; I used to tell stories, show them pictures, let them know what music she was listening to...but then people stopped listening, and my owner stopped taking care of me until eventually she just gave up on me and kicked me out. Like you."
"How did you know that?"
"We're all the same down here. We're all orphans."
"Down here? Where am I, what is this place?"
"This place? This is where we go when no-one listens to us any more. This is where blogs come to die."


If you have time please visit the links on my blogroll...don't let them suffer the same fate as poor Truth Shark.